One of the most beautiful religious buildings in Rudnik and Takovo Region was built by a renowned master Nastas Stefanović. Crushed and semi-dressed yellow sandstone was used as a building material. It is covered in clay roof tiles. This church is the only thing left of the former town of Brusnica. At the beginning of the XIX century, on the exact same spot of the present-day Saint Nicholas’ church in Brusnica, there used to be a chapel which master Jovan Obrenović built for religious purposes of the town. It is assumed that the chapel was built at the same location as the log-cabin church from earlier times.
When Brusnica became a town and the centre of Rudnik district, prince Miloš issued a decree for a new church to be built on the foundations of the chapel. Besides him, his younger brother Jovan Obrenović – who was the then prince of Rudnik administrative unit (“nahija”) – took care of the temple’s construction, which is why the church is considered to be his endowment. The foundation stone of the church in Brusnica was laid on 22 May 1836, on Saint Nicholas’ day – the patron saint of the Obrenović family home. On the Assumption of Mary Day in 1837, this religious place was consecrated by the bishop of Žiča Joanikije and Toma Milenković, a priest from Brusnica. Master Jovan ordered two bells in Pešta, which were placed inside the prominent three-storey bell tower in 1838.
In 1995, the remains of duke Milan Obrenović were moved from Romania, from Miloš’s past estate Hereštija, and they were buried with full state honours together with the remains of his wife Stoja, brother Jakov and sister-in-law Đurđija in a family tomb in the south part of the churchyard.